Friday, April 8, 2011

Robert Pattinson Interview with "Le Figaro"

       

See the interview after the break!


Translation:
Robert Pattinson: “I am not James Dean”

At 25, the most famous vampire of the world away from the “twilight” zone for other horizons. In Water for Elephants, he plays a healer of elephants caught in a tumultuous love story. Confessions of a Hollywood idol with teeth not so long and broad-minded.

It is a lunar be receiving in his suite at the Four Seasons in Los Angeles. A long skinny figure, a pale complexion, blue eyes, melancholy and the right hand disciplining her hair disheveled, Robert Pattinson always seems caught in some silent reverie whose extirpent his interlocutors.
Courtois, British until the end of its Dr. Martens expertly unlaced, he then resumed the course of her earthly life.
A life that the tabloids identify any event: a kiss to Kristen Stewart on the set of Twilight, Revelation , Rio de Janeiro, a birthday party at a friend’s arrival at Vancouver Airport, the acquisition of a dog whose Twitter echoes … His life is chronicled in real time, you almost forget he is an actor.
But at 25, the dandy vampire tries to make the thickness. He is preparing to tour with David Cronenberg in Cosmopolis , the adaptation of the cult novel by Don DeLillo, and is found in May in Water for Elephants *, opposite Reese Witherspoon and disturbing Christoph Waltz ( Quentin Tarantino revealed in Inglourious Basterds) , in the role of a healer of animals crazy in love with a beautiful married woman. Enigmatic encounter with an icon, a young man and old school trend, rebel and conformist, a beautiful aristocrat punk girls flowers.

In theaters May 4 (France)

Madame Figaro. – You shoot a lot. Besides the last two episodes of the sagaTwilight , you’ll see in June in Bel Ami , Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod, and soon in Water for Elephants , by Francis Lawrence. What attracted you in the role of Jacob Jankowski, animal trainer in a circus?
Robert Pattinson. -First, the book of the young novelist Sara Gruen, an incredible success in the United States, whose action is in the 20s in a traveling circus. Suddenly, with this role, I had the opportunity to leave the modern fantasy of Twilight , to live among the animals, touching the concrete things.

You seem drawn to the romantic past …
Yes, I include the history of America, I’m interested. In reading the script, I immediately hooked. It seemed obvious and easy. Jacob is a being tormented and mysterious. He lost his parents, he does not want to dig into his past and if this includes traveling circus, it is to prove himself as a veterinarian. It also ignores that he will live a violent passion and forbidden.

Your profile is accurate: that of being lonely, misunderstood and very attractive. It is a common point to all your characters.
That’s true. As if Edward, the hero of twilight , was the common thread of all these roles. Jacob sees things in black and white. As for Edward, he always distinguishes good from evil. In a sense, my characters are Manichaean. That’s why I try to bring inner complexity.

And Bel Ami , how did you work? Georges Duroy, the hero of the novel, is older than you.
It made me hesitate. And then I started because Maupassant is my favorite French writer. Bel Ami is a classic unbeatable. With Uma Thurman, Kristin Scott Thomas and Christina Ricci, my playmates, we had fun. I concentrated on my game its great freedom of action.
Bel Ami is an animal, my first character is completely cynical and ironically enough honest.But it is destructive. He plays a sort of game where nobody respects the rules, where everyone has connections, a great travesty worldly where the key is to pretend. He cares, he does what he pleases, and that is precisely that appeals to women.
A bit like you after all …
Oh no! I’m no Don Juan. This is something that is beyond me and is actually quite cool, all those fans who take pictures of me, these blogs, this buzz.Frankly, I have no sex appeal. Just strolling in Los Angeles, London or Paris to find a bunch of young guys like me. I am not James Dean.

One thing you rebel, a dark side. Who are your role models, your favorite actors in movies?
James Dean only made three movies, I like Giant with Elizabeth Taylor. But for me, the great icon of the 60s, it’s Marlon Brando, with this kind of rage internalized, this duality between masculinity and tenderness hidden. I’m also a fan of gangster films with James Cagney and Paul Newman, especially in Cool Hand Luke . And among actresses, Isabelle Huppert and those I love the golden age of Hollywood as Ava Gardner, the arsonist, and Katharine Hepburn, whether class, so rough and so funny. Kristen Stewart, whom I admire the game, has a small side Hepburn.

Audrey than Katharine?
No, Katharine. I’m not a fan of Audrey. I know she likes girls of my generation, but I find it a bit too girly.

What kind of women you attract?
I do not hate nerds. For a girl attracts me, it must be somewhat specific, it has an idea about the meaning of life, she reads a lot. But I can not say I prefer blondes, brunettes or redheads.I like the emotional, elegant – in the sense of elegance requires knowing what you will or not. The clothes, because they are expensive, do not guarantee a good look. I think we must above all be yourself. That said, I love the Chanel look, even in very young women!

And you, are you a fashion victim?
You see the anthracite jacket I wear today? Well, I found my home in an old suitcase. I had at 15. It is an Agnes b. , vintage 90, and she always goes. Otherwise, I’m a fan of Marc Jacobs , Proenza Schouler for girls and boys, and I buy lots of pants at Dries Van Noten .
Fashion is very important including the cinema. I think for example work done by Jean Paul Gaultier on the Fifth Element : Designed by the film.

You wear a fragrance?
Mine, my body odor. (Laughter.)

What is the project that you currently taking to heart?
Well, one morning the phone rang and it was David Cronenberg on the line. He offered me to play in his next film, Cosmopolis . It was almost as if Hitchcock sought me. Cronenberg is a great director. The good news is then accumulated: Juliette Binoche give me the reply, and also the director-actor French very talented, Mathieu Amalric. The icing on the cake, it is an adaptation from a novel by Don DeLillo, one of my favorite authors. The role is very hard, a crazy day in the life of a millionaire whose life is turned upside down in twenty-four hours. I’m trying to turn it, it’s really exciting.

What do you do with your days when you are in idleness?
Well, the problem is that I know more relaxing. I turn all the time. My life is reduced to work, and besides, I’m out of my house. My home is the hotel. Obviously, your room is done every day, there are advantages, but I’m starting to feel a little rootless. I could even list the hotels that I prefer over the world: Rome is the Bernini Bristol, a charming palazzo, and Paris, Le Crillon. Once I have an hour before me, I play the guitar but mostly I read, I devour.

Modern writers?
A bit of everything. I started Underworld by Don DeLillo and I have a predilection for the French novelist Michel Houellebecq. Within the Meaning of Combat , he wrote that sentence that resonates in me a lot: “We’ve been through hardships and desires without the taste of childhood dreams. “I feel close to the hero of Houellebecq …


No comments:

Post a Comment